General Information.  If you received a notice from the Clerk of the Court that you should file a claim, a claim form was attached to that notice.  You should immediately file a claim with the clerk.  Failure to timely file a claim by the bar date my result in the claim be denied.  In many cases, few claims are filed, and those that do file may receive 100 percent of what they are owed. 

    Proof of Claim.  If you didn't receive a notice to file a claim, then you should not file a claim with the clerk. 

    What to file with the claim.  You should attach documentation to the claim that supports you claim.  For instance, an invoice, contract, or other written evidence of the debt owed to you.  Failure to supply any documentation may result in an objection being filed, and the claim denied, and no distribution to you.

    Classify your claim correctly.  You should determine what type of claim you have.  Most unsecured debt is filed as an unsecured claim.  Some governmental claims may file a priority claim.  Claims secured by property liens or mortgages are filed as secured claims. Some claims may be both partially secured and unsecured.  You should consult with a competent bankruptcy practitioner if you have a question as to how your claim should be classified.

    Trustee's review.  The trustee will review each claim, and if there is proper documentation and the claim is determined to be a valid claim, the trustee will file a report with the court that requests that a distribution be made to all valid claimants.  If there are sufficient funds creditors could be paid 100 percent.  In most cases, though, the distribution is not sufficient to pay claims 100 percent, and the claims are paid, pro rata, based upon the priority of the claim and the total amount of creditors for each classification.